Sunday, August 16, 2009

Battening down the hatches

The good news is, I found an apartment in a complex that I've admired since I moved here--in fact, I thought about buying there, and actually the unit I'm renting is also for sale! Hmmm.

The bad news is, we just had a tropical depression form off the coast and take aim here. It may well be a tropical storm by the time it gets here. And I won't be signing the lease to my apartment until tomorrow. So we are going to ride it out here. I'm not worried about the rain (other than it will be really loud) or the wind too much, since we're in a campground surrounded by high pines that should serve as a nice windbreak. I am a bit worried that it might spin up some waterspouts or tornadoes, but if it makes landfall east of here (which it seems to be doing) there should be a really low probability of that. I am going to be ready to evacuate to the restrooms if necessary, and also will have the car packed in case something happens to the RV, but I suspect it will be fine.

In a way, I'm in better shape than people in real houses: if we lose power, I can run lights and TV and computer off my battery and run the generator if necessary for air conditioning. My refrigerator can run off propane. If we don't get hit too hard, it should be fine. And if we do get hit hard, I'll go stay with a friend tonight. Feel free to call and say hi!

No comments: