Wednesday, August 5, 2009

And now, we're back

August 5 Panama City Beach, FL

I kept the windows closed and the A/C on all night--except for a few minutes where I thought I'd see if it was cool enough for me to sleep comfy. It wasn't, mostly because there wasn't a hint of breeze. It's not as much fun staying in the RV when you can't have a window open; it really cuts me off from the outdoors, which is rather the point.

I woke up just before dawn, fed the cats, watched a bit of news, then headed out. I stopped at a gas station down the road a bit for diesel and to check my tires--a bit of air and I was off.

There was supposed to be storms, but I had hoped to be on the road early enough to miss most of them, and it looks like I was correct. No storms (heck, no clouds!) until I hit Florida. I stopped at Ponce de Leon for a Subway sandwich, and finished it right before I hit the rain. I had seen the rain for a while up ahead, and between Red Bay and Ebro it rained like crazy. I slowed down and took it easy (this RV handles rain beautifully), and while it looked threatening the little rest of the way, it held off.

I'm at a small RV park right off Back Beach, in a site right next to a little fishing pond. Not too shady, but pretty. I'm a bit afraid to go near the pond, since there's a resident alligator that is a bit too friendly. So I had to go shower while it was still light, because I was a bit worried I'd step on the damn thing in the dark.

After I checked in and set up (the site is mostly level, although the water from the tap tastes of dirt--and in the shower, it SMELLS of dirt--must add bottled water to the list), I walked over to the Paddock Club--um, I mean the Club--over on Beckrich--um, I mean Jackson Blvd--oh hell, whatever--and picked up my car. It was damn weird trying to drive it after a month in the RV; it felt like I was lying down, and I was too low to the ground, and the power steering was so easy to use I kept turning it with too much force and too far, and shifting took me to the entrance of the subdivision to get right. I went and filled up the tires (the front right was really low--I suspect it has a leak, but since I'm going to get new tires Real Soon Now it shouldn't matter), then got my mail and sorted through it, cashed a bunch of unexpected checks for various things at the bank, then drove a bit before coming back and parking behind my RV. A cheese omelette for dinner, and I'm set. I'm off to look at apartments tomorrow. If the severe thunderstorms we expect tonight allow--damn, can't I have a nice quiet night here before hell breaks loose?

Part of me rather wants to just find a place to park the RV and go with it, the way I had planned. Today wasn't too bad temperature-wise inside, but it was also cloudy and rainy and thus very temperate. It is nice how quickly the fresh air can get in here, but I think I need a larger more secure place if I'm going to work and not worry about the cats. That, and the condo complex I want to move into is right on the bay, is walking distance to lots of things, and is pretty damn sturdy (concrete block stands up to a lot). That, and Nell is still beating up on Puck! And when the A/C isn't running and the windows are closed, it's pretty damn airless up in the bunk. It turns out I can store the RV here for $30/month, and I may well do that.

I'll let y'all know what happens tomorrow, or until I'm settled. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Doc Sandy said...

Welcome back! I've still got your aquarium, haven't made it back to the office in a while. Also still have your microwave, so you can have it back and that's one less thing to worry about if you want it. I owe you a fish.

Dr. Lisa said...

Ooh--I'll take the microwave back, and the aquarium, but you don't owe me a fish; I owe you (and Liz) a happy emotional experience for dealing with a dead fish!