Tuesday, May 11, 2010

And they're off!

May 10--Tupelo, MS

I got started a bit later than I thought; I drove the RV to my apartment last night around six, got most everything loaded (but not put away), and this morning I had to clean and finish the loading. I was up by 6am, and at work by 6:30, but I still hadn't finished and dropped the last of the stuff off at the storage unit until 9:20. So I headed north.

The RV was driving fine, but Nell decided to christen the trip by vomiting her breakfast all over the carrier. I discovered this in Dothan, when I stopped for lunch. So I moved her to Puck's pen (they got along fine), dumped the worst of the vomit off in the bushes (sorry, Dothan Taco Bell!) and got my lunch.

The weather was fine: sunny and a bit windy. However, it changed completely between Montgomery and Birmingham, which is only about 90 miles. In Montgomery it was 82 and sunny; in Birmingham it was 52 and raining. I got diesel just past Birmingham and nearly froze standing outside the rig in my tank top and shorts, but I didn't want to dig through the stuff to get a coat.

The Birmingham roads weren't too bad, by the way; there's been construction and many of the bumps have been smoothed out.

Unfortunately, I think I got a bad batch of diesel; the RV lost most of the power it has at speeds above 40 mph. We'd be cruising at 65mph down the hill, and then struggle to make it up the hill. I'm going to get new gas today, and hopefully that will fix it.

I stopped at a campground in Tupelo. It's nearly full, which is surprising to me, but I got the "only here for one night" spot right next to the pet walking area, without a picnic table or other amenities. Oh well, it's cold and damp. I got the electric hooked up, let the cats out, then had to put them back to put out the slide (I don't want to catch a cat in the slide!). They recovered fast; both ate like maniacs about an hour after we parked, and seem to be in good shape. We'll see how well they travel today.

I also unfortunately got dirt into my water tank from a dirty hose, because I'm an idiot. I'll be cleaning that out later anyway, and I do know where the filter is. Then I put everything away, watched some of the tornado destruction in Oklahoma on the cable TV, and then went to bed and slept quite well, considering. I sure did bring a lot less stuff on this trip, or else I'm just better at putting it away.

Cloudy but a bit warmer this morning; we'll see what the day brings!

No comments: