Friday, May 14, 2010

It figures

May 14--Moorhead, MN

Puck woke me up at 5am, the rotten little creature. I got up myself at 5:30--it was 45 outside, and 54 inside! It's amazing how warm I am with my rather-thin comforter. Nell cuddles under it, but Puck just toughs it out--no wonder he woke me up! Actually, he was hungry. I fed them around 6, and we left at 7:15. I stopped at the local Lewis and Clark museum, which wasn't open, but I did get a look at a reproduction of the keel boat that they sailed up the Missouri to the Hidatsa/Mandan villages in NoDak. It sure seemed narrow!

Today was mostly a driving day, because I wanted to get to the KOA in Moorhead to relax and sanitize the water system. There were bluffs on either side of the Missouri river valley throughout Iowa, and once in South Dakota it got much flatter, and the wind picked up. It was hitting us broadside, and made driving a lot more tiring, as did all the road work and the general roughness of the road itself. Living in Florida without frosts has made me forget how badly winter beats up roads.

I set up my GPS, and it worked quite well, except that it died right before I got to the KOA (where I really could have used it). It won't turn on now, and I'm not sure what's up with it. I'll have to look online to see if it's something I can fix.

I got to Moorhead, finally, and began to follow the directions. This area is one of the few places that is still in a building boom, and the directions didn't work. I followed some signs, which ended in a one-lane dirt road, and I stopped and called the KOA. Yep, it was down the one-lane dirt road. And it didn't get better.

The KOA, once I got down the rutted dirt road, is also half-flooded. The first spot they gave me, the electric was being used by an adjacent site, so I moved to another site. Then I found that the water is cloudy and smells of sulfur, and so I'm not going to clean the system. Worse, I don't have any water to drink; I drank the last of my Panama City water last night, and I don't want to drink the sulfur water and I won't give it to the cats. So I bought a very expensive small bottle of water (no stores around here, and I'm not taking the rig back out until we leave) and gave it to the cats. I'm currently drinking a bottle of sparkling grape juice I'd been saving, but I'll probably finish the water before I go to bed tonight.

I'm not looking forward to showering in the egg water, but I really need a shower. Ick. At least the cats are entertained watching the neighbors--well, Puck is entertained; Nell thinks they're going to break in and eat her for dinner. She's a non-trusting soul. I haven't told them that we're moving on tomorrow; oh well. If the next place I'm in is nice, we'll stay two nights there, because I'm tired.

No comments: