Friday, July 31, 2009

Ew--do not read while eating!

July 31 St. Ignace, MI

Puck didn't wake me up this morning, so I got a later start. I should have known when he didn't eat his breakfast that something was up, but I blithely put it away, packed up, and set off down a scenic windy bouncy road bordering Lake Superior. It was very pretty (and I think I may try staying in Eagle Harbor next time), but by the time I got back to the main road I was smelling something bad. And then I heard Puck trying to cover something up (he was in his nylon carrier), which I knew couldn't be good. I stopped in Calumet and found that Puck had had copious diarrhea and possibly vomited during the hour or so since we'd left. I cleaned it up (luckily the nylon is water resistant and it wiped right up) and found Puck had gone to the front of the bunk and wasn't coming down. Well, I didn't want to put him in the carrier right away, so I let him ride up there.

I stopped an hour or so later in Ishpeming, because I was worried about him having diarrhea on my bed, and found he hadn't. But I also found that Nell had vomited and defecated in her carrier! So I put her, Puck, and the big litter box in the nylon carrier (which had dried), wiped up as much of the ick as I could, and kept going. I have no idea, by the way, why this happened; I haven't changed their food, they've been drinking bottled water, and they haven't been exposed to anything. Puck I know is delicate, but Nell? I'm hoping it was the winding road. Which reminds me: I need to go hose down the carrier and the bed inside it. What fun.

It was a lovely day, other than the bodily fluid incidents. Sunny, a bit breezy, and Lake Superior was just beautiful. I stopped in Munising to get a couple of pasties (one I ate for lunch, and one I'm eating now) and headed down to Lake Michigan, which was also beautiful and somehow looked tropical! The colors of the water were similar to that of Panam City on some days, light greens and turquoises and such, although I'm sure that the water temperature was not the same!

I'm in the KOA at St. Ignace. It took several tries to find a spot level enough for my few blocks to finish the job (I really have to get more blocks!) and also allow my electric to reach the boxes. But we're in the shade, so I don't feel too bad about leaving them tomorrow here. Hopefully the stomachs will settle a bit (as I typed this Puck did a huge burp--he ate most of his wet food, and I hope it stays down!) as I go to Mackinac Island and eat and walk. There's supposed to be a line of rain/storms coming through tomorrow afternoon, but I'm going to try to get over early and see what I want to see and get home before they hit, ideally.

I've done laundry and swam (the pool was heated to the ideal temperature: cool enough to be refreshing but warm enough to be comfortable). There's some nice Canadians in the spot across the way that I was talking to at the pool; I may go over and say hi.

No comments: