Saturday, July 25, 2009

Not much to say

Today I drove from Belvidere SD to Albert Lea, MN on I-90. Not tremendously exciting, no tourist stuff, so here is a list of random things I thought about today.

1. If you don't want flies around your car, clean off the dead bugs.

2. No matter how early you get up, someone will be up earlier and will be using the shower.
(well, not me--I was up at 6am local time, and yes the showers were full but I showered last night!)

3. If you're driving across SD on 90, stop at the Chamberlain rest area--lots of great Lewis and Clark stuff as well as great views.

4. The worst construction will always be when you're tired.

5. The radio station will always go to static when you can't spare a hand to look for another channel.

6. Always lock your door, even when you think you're securely closed it.
(after lunch I noticed the side door was rattling, which worried me since Puck's kennel kind of rests against it--it was indeed ajar, with the deadbolt the only thing holding it closed--I now wonder if someone at the truck stop I got lunch at tried to open the door?)

7. Everything old is new again--and not in a good way.
(I was in the store when a family came in who is living out of a tent, their car pulling a small trailer piled high with all of their belongings, looking for work--turns out it's a young couple with three kids, none over about 4 years old--they're looking for work, and are off to Ohio or Texas tomorrow--I guess the Okies have returned)

8. Always have at least a day's supply of drinking water on hand.
(I actually learned this in London, where much of the water is nasty-tasting--my current campground has egg water, which I hate, but I did fill up my jug last night where the water was OK, so I don't have to buy water tonight)

9. It will always take longer to get where you're going than you think it will.

10. Changing your mind mid-stream can be fun!
(after five nights in/around Copper Harbor, I'm going to spend a day at Mackinac Island, where I've never been--should be fun, if it's not pouring rain!)

No comments: