Thursday, July 30, 2009

On the shores of Gitchee Gumee

July 27-30 Copper Harbor, MI

Ah, the joys of relaxation. And cool breezes and drizzle and mosquitoes . . .

Tuesday I walked around town. Granted, this didn't take long; Copper Harbor is about seven blocks by three, and other than the main drag (called Gratiot--and you're a Michigander if you know how to pronounce that!) it was either private homes or motels/cottages. Lots and lots of cottages. But I did hit the tourist traps, and bought myself a necklace consisting of a hunk of local copper pretty much how it came out of the earth. Then I ate at a local restaurant that advertised pasties. Well, it was OK. It was indeed a bit dry and could have had more taste, but it wasn't bad with ketchup (I plan to stop in Munising for very tasty pasties tomorrow on the way south). Then I spent a lot of time sitting on benches by the water and reading, or laying on my couch with the cats and reading, or napping.

Wednesday I walked to the state park about a mile away. At Ft. Wilkins they have many buildings from the 1840's (and others that were reconstructed by the CCC during the Depression) showing what life was like while the fort was garrisoned (it was created to keep order during the big copper rush in the late 1840's here, and while it closed after three years it was temporarily reopened after the Civil War, mostly to give veterans something to do). There are also living history people around, answering questions and doing chores and suchlike. As an actor, I feel really weird about living history people; I'm not sure why, but I often find it difficult to go along with the program, particularly when the people involved are really young. These were students from Northern Michigan U, and they did quite well. So I wandered around the fort and read up on how they lived, then walked along the lake and looked at the various lighthouses that have been around since the 1840's and such. And then I came back and read and napped . . . you see the pattern.

Today dawned rather nasty (as had yesterday, although it had cleared up quickly then), and while I had thought about going to Isle Royale for the day, the weather dissuaded me. So I walked around town some more, chatted with the lady running the old-time General Store (as well as buying some local chocolate), and sat by the lake and read until it began to rain, then came back and sat on the couch and--oh hell, you know the drill by now. I did clean the bathroom today, and plan to clean the kitchen after dinner. I've read three books since I got here, and am halfway through the fourth (and these aren't small books).

I've got a lead on a place to live in Panama City; it's in a complex where I've seriously considered buying a unit, so this may kill two birds with one stone. If so, I may get back into town a few days earlier than I had planned, to get mostly moved before school starts. Hey, at least I don't have that much to move anymore! I still plan to go to Mackinac City on Saturday; the weather looks like it will mostly cooperate. But then I may just head straight home. We'll see; I've certainly changed my mind enough times on this trip, who knows?

No comments: