Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ahoy!

July 21--Not moved yet

So the thunderstorm was a doozy. Not only did I think I saw a funnel cloud dissapate in the distance before it hit, but the storm itself was nasty. The frequent lightning should have given that away, but I was hoping it would go to the north. Well, it did, but we got enough to be scary.

The rain and wind hit at the same time. All of a sudden I could barely see across the parking lot to the trees that were nearly bent double, and my RV was listing like a leaking boat. I actually moved to the other side of the RV, the way you do in a boat, to try to keep it from tipping. I didn't think it actually would, but it was freaky enough to scare Nell, and she doesn't scare. Puck had wedged himself into the foot well of the driver's door, which may have been the safest place in the rig. It poured and blew for about 20 minutes, which felt a lot longer, and then passed by. All is well, but wow.

I didn't do much today--well, I read a couple of chapters for work, but otherwise I just futzed about. I did walk to a restaurant called Antlers for lunch. This place is a taxidermist's dream: I saw everything from a couple of African lions to a tiny owl stuffed and mounted on the walls. A mouse-deer, a wolverine with a Michigan hat on it, a rhino, and more ungulates than you could shake a stick at. The food was OK, but I was rather creeped out by the end of lunch; all these dead animals. Eesh.

I did get to see several tall ships go by. There are on their way from a get-together in Bay City last weekend to one in Duluth this weekend. None of them were under sail, so while they were interesting, they weren't amazing. There were also a lot of freighters; probably at least 8 if not more. Much busier day than yesterday!

Tomorrow I'm off to a Canadian provincial park, so don't expect an update for a bit. And it's a good thing, since a big-ass trailer pulled in next to me and cut off my breeze, which could make the next few days rather warm. Time to rest on a beach, with fresh water and warmer temperatures than Washington. Good thing I have a lot of books to read!

No comments: