Thursday, July 29, 2010

Nice, though noisy

July 29--Campbellton, ON

It was fairly restful at Perry Sound, although I was grumpy for some of it. I mostly sat around and read, which was nice, although the weather didn't necessarily cooperate. It was hot on Tuesday, and I walked to the nearby boat launch and waded a bit (carefully, since there was lots of fishing going on), and then through the woods to a local trail that might have been neat except for all the ATV's on it; the campground was full of ATVs and motorbikes and such.

Wednesday it rained. Everything got muddy, and I mostly stayed inside. Internet access was erratic at best, so I again did reading and sorting things on my computer and such.

I've not been sleeping well. I've been having problems falling asleep (which may be due to the napping I've been doing), and waking up in the middle of the night. It's not that I'm obsessing about things, like I normally do when I have this type of insomnia, so I'm not sure what it is. Too many carbs, probably. I'm going to have to cut down on them, I think.

I got up this morning and walked over to the WiFi antenna to get online to check e-mail and such (I get very little access from my campsite). I took my time getting ready, dumped the tanks, and headed out a little before 10am. Lots of construction on the 400, as well as lots of traffic. I wish I could have looked at the scenery more; there were lots of those little human rock figures (inukshuks) that were the symbol of the Vancouver Olympics on all the exposed rocks, and there was a lot of exposed rock.

I stopped south of Barrie to get diesel (full serve, which was the only thing available, but at least my hands aren't smelly!) and McDonalds, and then more to the south. Traffic picked up considerably, and I could eventually see the CN tower in the distance. I turned east well before we got downtown, and things were crazy--roads everywhere, people cutting across traffic going 70 mpg, just crazy. I plodded on, and managed to get through it without too much cussing. I am glad I'm not coming into town, as that was backed up for miles.

I'm in a KOA that bills itself as "Toronto West", but we're in the back of beyond, really. True to the nature of most KOAs, the 401 Interstate is running right by this place, and I'm trying to pretend the sound of the traffic is a river or something. I was allowed to pick my own spot, and I have a nice semi-level semi-shaded campsite. It took me several tries to find it, but we're here! I chatted a bit with another View driver, and wound up lending him my instruction book, as he left his at home and has had some interesting experiences. I also went swimming--thank god there's trees in between the pool and the highway. All the pools here are interesting: they don't seem to be lined with concrete, but simply have a sturdy rubber/plastic liner over what seems to be packed dirt (it's uneven and wrinkled). One would think that they'd put in something more permanent, but maybe the weather would do it in.

So I'm sitting here enjoying both the sun and the cool breeze, reading a book and drinking ice tea. I may go to the nearby harness racing track tonight to watch the racing and/or play the slots, but I think I'll wait until tomorrow. There's also a restaurant; I plan to eat lunch there tomorrow, since I've already eaten out once today and I need to finish the perishables before Saturday, when we're staying at a motel (to give me a safe place to leave the cats while I drive to Stratford and see the play).

No comments: