Monday, July 19, 2010

Rollin' down the river . . . well, not really

July 19--Sault Ste. Marie, MI

I spent most of the past day or two hanging out with my family, before they all left for Lethbridge this morning. It rained much of yesterday, and I'm glad I wasn't in a tent! Serious ponding on the ground. Luckily, the church group in tents left right before it got bad.

The family left around 9:30 today, and I was out a few minutes later (I did stop to fill up on some water, since I was a bit low). I headed north on I-75, through thick woods at first, then some fields. Very little traffic, which was a nice change.

I exited at the second-to-last exit in the US and went to WalMart, where I did a bit of shopping for necessities (which apparently includes Faygo Redpop--yum!), then I went to the local vet. I had discovered back in Maumee Bay Park that Nell had a tapeworm (you really don't want to know how I discovered this, trust me), and it was my first real chance to stop at a vet. We had to weigh her (which she didn't like), and I bought anti-tapeworm meds for both her and Puck. Unfortunately, she wouldn't take them as a treat, so I had to force-pill both of them. Luckily, no damage to anyone.

I'm at a campground right on the river between Lakes Superior and Huron, with Canada right across the way. It's a nice campground, although a bit of shade would be nice (the long-termers appear to have bogarted the shady spots), and I do have a view (through other RVs) of the river. I might take my chair and go sit next to the river for a while; there's an area for people who don't border the river to have access. There are boats of all kinds going by, from tour boats (whose spiels I can overhear) to big lake freighters (which blow their horn, which is a bit loud but luckily doesn't happen often).

I'm going to walk to town tomorrow for tourist purposes, since it's going to be cloudy and maybe rainy, and that way I can make sure the RV doesn't overheat on Wednesday, when it's hot(ish) again. If I keep the big windows open, there's a great breeze through, which helps counteract the heat from the blacktop that makes up most of this campground--but it's way too easy to break into the big windows. At any rate, I took a great nap this afternoon, and I foresee several more!

No comments: