Sunday, July 18, 2010

Very good family reunion/party

After six days in Troll-country (i.e. below the bridge--it's a Yooper joke), I'm back in St. Ignace. It was hotter than billy hell in Toledo--upper 80's and 90's, rather like the Florida weather I bought this RV to escape. Despite the weather, it was a good time (other than the horsefly bites I got--ow): lots of eating, swimming, laughing, playing cards and dominos, and catching up with everyone. My dad's 80th birthday party went beautifully--we had it in a park right by where we used to live in South Toledo. Plenty of his old friends came, we barbecued hamburgers and hot dogs and had pasta salad and chips and soda and beer (yay great caterer!) and there were no major disasters and I think everyone had a great time. One of the better get-togethers we've had.

So I was thinking, where should I go once the party broke up? I have three weeks before I have to be back in Florida, and I'm in no hurry to return to that weather. I thought about New England, but it's been hot there, it remains hot, it's high season (particularly because it's so hot and I'd want to be by/on the beach like everyone else), and it's far away (driving back to Florida would take several days, plus having to bypass several major cities). So I decided to go back to the Upper Peninsula.

Driving up yesterday (the only thing worse than driving south through Michigan on a summer Sunday is driving north on a Saturday! Traffic galore), the temperature literally dropped 10 degrees from 9am in Dundee MI to 3pm in St. Ignace. My parents and my sister and her family are here until Monday, to go to Mackinac Island. I, having been there last year and with work to do, will be resting today--well, other than the work. There's good reliable Internet (I have to proof a couple of chapters of a text book) and I really really need to sweep the floor (the cat hair is beginning to form small tumbleweeds in the aisle, which even I as a very indifferent housekeeper don't much like). It's a cool cloudy rainy day--my kind of weather!

(We're in the same campground I was in a week ago, and the youth group is still here! Must be a long trip)

3 comments:

Doc Sandy said...

I think you should go by Nashville on your way home, get some good barbecue and visit some live music places, see the sights. Hey, I'm living vicariously here.

Dr. Lisa said...

It's too hot there! And remember, other than the camper, I have no transportation--is there barbecue and music at the campground? Knowing Nashville, probably!

I'm trying to figure if I can go see Christopher Plummer in "The Tempest" at the Stratford Festival. But again, no campgrounds!

Dr. Lisa said...

Got a ticket anyway--yay, Christopher Plummer!